The Adoption Process
The purpose of Hubba-Hubba Hamstery is to provide healthy, tame, ethically bred show quality hamsters as an alternative to pet store animals produced in rodent mills. As with puppy mills, pet store hamsters come from rodent mills where hamsters are breed by the tens of thousands in horrific conditions with no regard to their health or genetic traits. Many people buy pet store hamsters only to have them die young and unexpectedly from genetic defects. Even a pet store hamster which appears healthy is likely to asymptomatically carry parasites or diseases due to the conditions they are housed in prior to arriving in the pet store. Many of these contagions can be spread to both people and other animals. Besides potentially putting both people and other animals at risk, purchasing a hamster from the from a pet store funds rodent mills, which continues the cycle of inhumane treatment. We are currently the only ethical hamstery in the Pacific Northwest and one of only a small handful on the west coast.
Despite their small size, we believe hamsters can be furry family. We aim to provide up-to-date care information. Aside from breeding our hamsters to be healthy, happy and humongous we are focusing on specific colors and patterns: black/rust/chocolate and yellow as well as dominant spot pattern and rex coat.
Do you want a hamster sooner but do not want to support rodent mills? Consider a rescue hamster! We have adoptable rescue hamsters on occasion and are in close communication with rescues in the Pacific NW. Let me know what you’re looking for and I’d be happy to help find you a hamster!
At Hubba-Hubba Hamstery we commit to always meeting or exceeding the ethical guidelines for breeders set out by the California Hamster Association. Our hamsters to bred to British Hamster Association (BHA) show standards, focusing on health and excellent temperament. To achieve these goals we cherry pick hamsters from the best breeders worldwide and fly them here to add to our lines.
~ What It Costs and What You Get ~
The fee to adopt a Hubba-Hubba Hamster is $55. Here’s what you get:
- A pedigreed hamster with a certificate of lineage
- A hamster who comes from a long lineage selected for health, temperament and type (looks)
- A hamster who’s been well fed and supplemented since conception, handled daily from a young age and is accustomed to family life
- A hamster accustomed to using a sand bath/litter box
- Lifelong support for your hamster
- A care package containing one pound of Harlan Teklad 8640 lab blocks, sand to get you started, a container for a sand bath, treats and/or toys your hamster likes and a sack to handle your hamster in that smells like home. These items do not contribute to the cost of adoption but help ensure a smooth transition for the hamster
- A plastic carrier to transport your hamster. We’ve discovered the hard way that it is a bad idea to send a gnawing rodent home in a container that is easy to chew out of! Have your own plastic carrier? Bring it and we’ll reduce the adoption fee by $10
- An extensive care sheet (both printed and digital) covering everything you are likely to need to know
- A take back guarantee. Should you become unable to care for your hamster, we will take your hamster back (please provide their enclosure)
While we encourage people to source their own cages and wheels, as a courtesy to adopters we offer help obtaining these items at a reasonable cost. We will also custom build basic 50 gallon bin cages for $50. We can order you new Carolina Storm Wheels (packed together with the orders for other adopters to save on shipping), these should cost around $30 and will require at least 2 weeks prior notice. Larger cages made from Christmas tree bins may be seasonally available. Availability of all items will vary.
~ Applying to Adopt A Hamster ~
We have a wait list to adopt hamster pups. It can be hard to predict exactly how long it will take to be able to adopt your hamster, but our goal is to keep the wait time under 3 months. Follow us on Facebook or Instagram for updates on litters and pictures of pups.
Please note that we do not ship hamsters. Hamsters must be picked up in Portland, Oregon. Occasionally transportation of hamsters to Bonney Lake, Washington may be available by special request, through a third party for a reasonable transportation fee.
To be added to the wait list please read the care section of this website. If the care requirements sound doable, click the button below for the adoption application. I try to respond within 3-4 days.
~ Selecting and Picking Up Your Hamster ~
Choice of hamster pup is made in wait list order. I will begin contacting adopters 1-2 weeks before the pups are ready to go home to choose your hamster. You will be given a list of hamsters which are available along with descriptions and pictures or videos.
You are under no obligation to choose one of the hamsters offered and your position on the wait list will be retained should you choose to wait for a pup from another litter. If we do not receive a response within 48 hours of reaching out to choose your pup, we will move onto the next adopter.